Meat and Potatoes (Niku-Jyaga)
This is a type of Japanese stew. It's popular throughout Japan and is very simple to make.
- Peel the potatoes and cut (if needed) into pieces around 6 cm (2 inches) wide.
- The beef should be cut thinly into strips around 4 cm (1.5 inches) long.
- Chop the half onion 4-6 times into wedges.
- Brown the thin sliced beef in a pot. Use cooking oil if required.
- After the meat has browned, add the potatoes, onion, konyaku (optional) and soup mix (or water).
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmering. When the potatoes have softened to the point you can skewer them (about 10 minutes) then add the carrots other seasonings.
- Simmer for a further 15 to 20 minutes until only a little broth is left. Stir occasionally. Add the beans (optional) part way through boiling away the broth.
This is an adaptation of a Japanese dish from various sources. The sake (rice wine) is very optional. This dish was popularized in Japan by the Japanese Navy. See Kure - History for more information on the origins of this dish.