Meat and Potatoes (Niku-Jyaga)
By mbystedt on Nov 10, 2012, 12:37:58 AM
200g thin sliced beef
cooking oil (if needed)
3-4 small potatoes
1/2 medium onion
small portion of thread konyaku
6 chopped french beans
Soup and Seasoning
400-500 ml dashijiru - Japanese soup mix (or water)
45-60 ml (3-4 Tbs.) sugar
60-75 ml (4-5 Tbs.) soy sauce
60-75 ml (4-5 Tbs.) sake - rice wine (Optional)
45-60ml (3-4 Tbs.) mirin - sweet sake (Optional)
This is a type of Japanese stew. It's popular throughout Japan and is very simple to make.
- Peel the potatoes and cut (if needed) into pieces around 6 cm (2 inches) wide.
- The beef should be cut thinly into strips around 4 cm (1.5 inches) long.
- Chop the half onion 4-6 times into wedges.
- Brown the thin sliced beef in a pot. Use cooking oil if required.
- After the meat has browned, add the potatoes, onion, konyaku (optional) and soup mix (or water).
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmering. When the potatoes have softened to the point you can skewer them (about 10 minutes) then add the carrots other seasonings.
- Simmer for a further 15 to 20 minutes until only a little broth is left. Stir occasionally. Add the beans (optional) part way through boiling away the broth.
This is an adaptation of a Japanese dish from various sources. The sake (rice wine) is very optional. This dish was popularized in Japan by the Japanese Navy. See Kure - History for more information on the origins of this dish.